Sunday, March 19, 2023

Dinner Blog 2

 For the second wine dinner blog my boyfriend and I did in Puerto Rico, however we wanted to try something different, not fancy this time. This dinner was arguably the least effort of a dinner I have had and the worst wine and food combinations I have tried. Towards the end of trying to mix these un-mixable items my stomach completely gave up. 

The aesthetic was an evening dinner in our Airbnb with cheapest store bought wine. The three wines we tried were:

1. Veuve Du Vernay, Sparkling Wine Brut 

2. Puente Real, Albarino, White wine 

3. Hacienda Los Andres Rose 

Never having to try these kind of wines before in the scope of the wine class, it was an interesting combination. The order they were written in is exactly the order I would rank them in from highest to lowest. 

Now to the food, the three food items we decided to purchase were:
1. Bread with the option to had butter or garlic spread on the side 
2. Guava roll with powder sugar 
3. Watermelon 

Bread and butter was very fatty, the roll was sugary and the watermelon had lots of water and was also sweet like the roll. 
The first wine to hit the taste buds was the Rose. Before even trying the wine, it jumped up my nose very hard with the smell of very dirty socks or a man that hasn't showered in days. This smell makes my stomach cringe to this day. The flavor was okay, I just had to pinch my nose every time I took a sip. Overall was quite sweet. 

The rose didn't go well with the watermelon, somehow the smell got worse and I could fully taste the dirty socks. It also made the wine a little bitter. Rose with the bread and butter was a tiny tiny bit better,

just because bread and butter tasted very good on it's own and the good flavor over-powered the bad flavor of wine. Lastly with the guava roll it tasted like the guava roll disintegrated in my mouth into many different flavors. Not the most pleasant of feels, but it did open up the guava flavors to some level. Second wine - the Albarino, without food tasted like straight olive oil with a hint of grape. I have not heard of this wine before coming to Puerto Rico, but there it seemed like it was all over the place. In 4 days after this dinner, my boyfriend and I tried a good bottle of the same wine, and it had an amazing taste. Watermelon and Alabarino was an all around awful combination, and I think that is was turned my stomach upside down. Albarino lost the hint of wine it had, and became more oily and bitter. With the

bread it tasted good, oil + butter = good. I didn't hate this wine overall with Guava roll either, it was a little too sweet for the wine, but not bad per say. The last one to be opened was the sparking. I think it was the driest of wines probably the most expansive, however no one item was in the double digits on that table. I tried it with the watermelon, and by all means it again was not good. It was definitely too dry for this wine. However, bread and garlic spread went together very well with the sparkling, truly complimenting each other. Lastly the guava roll, and as it seems I was not in any state of good well being to try continue drinking, I only had a bite of the roll, and again, it did seem a little too sweet compared to the sparkling, but overall not terrible. 
It was an OK night, our stomachs spent a few days recovering from this dinner, and honestly would probably not do this again, but it was a fun experiment. 





 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dinner Blog 2

 For the second wine dinner blog my boyfriend and I did in Puerto Rico, however we wanted to try something different, not fancy this time. T...